If you will be visiting Malta for business purposes, this informative piece on how to get Malta Work Visa Application is for you. Just like most countries around the world, you need a Malta work visa to enter the country to perform any business functions.
The process is not tedious, as you will discover in the simple tips below.
We have provided the step-by-step processes to apply for a Malta work visa so you can learn everything you need to know for the Malta work visa application form.
How to Apply for Malta Work Visa (Step-by-Step Guide)
Foreign workers who enter Malta are expected to have the proper visas and work permits in line with immigration laws.
Work permits must be obtained for employees and sponsored by a locally licensed and incorporated company/organization.
Work permits in Malta are employer-specific, occupation-specific, and location-specific, and they’re normally valid for one year.
Types of Work Visas Available in Malta
There are different types of visas offered to foreign nationals who enter Malta for different reasons.
In this case, if you intend to travel to Malta to work, there are a few options when it comes to working visas that you can apply for. These are:
- Short-Stay Visa, or C Visa.
- National Long-Stay Visa, or D Visa.
#1. Short-Stay Visa, or C Visa
The Short-Stay Visa or C Visa is a type of Schengen visa issued to foreign nationals to enter multiple different countries that are within the Schengen area.
The visa is in three tiers that allow single entries, double entries, and multiple entries. Also, the short-stay visa only allows foreign nationals to enter and stay in Malta just for 3 months, regardless of how many times they enter the country.
#2. National Long-Stay Visa, or D Visa
The National Long-Stay Visa or D Visa is designed to allow foreign nationals to enter and stay in Malta for a longer period than 3-months. This is the appropriate visa type for workers whose business activities will be more than 3 months.
In addition to holding a long-stay visa, foreign nationals entering Malta for business reasons will need to have to get a work permit (known as an employment license) to work legally in Malta.
As an Employee:
In the case of an employee, the employer must apply for an employment license from the Government of Malta on behalf of any foreign employee. It is expedient for the employer to submit the relevant documents to the Employment and Training Corporation in Malta and pay any applicable fees.
As an Entrepreneur:
If the case of entering the country to establish your own business as an entrepreneur, you will have to obtain an employment license from the Govt. of Malta. Also, to further enhance your eligibility, you should have a planned investment of EUR 100,000 in the first six months of establishing the business, or you may need to prove your capability of employing at least three local people in the first 18 months of the business.
You can also get an employment license by compiling a sound business proposal approved by the Maltese Enterprise Agency.
How To Get Malta Work Visa
It is important to learn the process of applying for a Malta Work Visa. We have compiled below a step-by-step guide on How to Get Malta Work Visa. The process includes:
Step 1 – Complete Visa Application Form
Complete your Malta work visa application online or download the form from the official website.
Step 2 – Passport Photograph Requirement
Ensure you affix the specified passport photograph on your form.
Step 3 – Gather and Submit All Required Documents
Ensure you gather and submit all supporting documents required once all documentation has been received. Everything will be needed to be submitted at once to start the Malta work visa processing time.
Step 4 – Collect Your Approved Visa.
You can collect your approved visa from the Malta Embassy/Consulate/Visa Application Centre, or it will be sent to you via courier delivery.
Documents Required for Malta Work Visa Application
There are documents required of you to submit to process your visa application.
The forms listed here are mandatory to be submitted if you want your visa application to go through very fast and also to overrule visa refusal. The required documents to support your visa application include:
- Application Form that is duly filled and signed by the applicant.
- One (1) recent colored Passport size photograph with white background (not to be affixed on the form but submitted)
- Submit your Passport/Travel document must:
- Be valid for at least 3 months after your intended stay in the country;
- Must not have been issued within the previous 10 years and not valid for more than 10 years;
- Have a minimum of 3 blank pages
- Travel medical insurance is valid for all Schengen countries. The insurance must have at least 30,000 Euros or equivalent to cover the applicant’s medical expenses and all risks (i.e. accident, illness, medical emergency, evacuation, etc.). Also, the travel medical insurance must specify the period of validity and must cover at least 91 days from the date you travel to Malta.
- Document of your travel itinerary for travel to Malta.
- Letter of Invitation from receiving employer clearly stating the professional status of the applicant as well as details of the work activities to be carried out. Also, the letter must be duly signed by an authorized person whose name and designation must be stated.
- A signed employment contract along with a certified original copy by a Maltese Notary Public.
- Identity Malta letter confirming that the application for a work permit has been granted.
- Possession of skills/qualifications (if required); Proof of Board Membership for liberal professionals; or Letter from Medical Institutions in case of doctors, must be submitted in originals together with photocopies.
- Proof of accommodation in Malta. This could be a hotel reservation, shared or free accommodation, or paid accommodation in the country where you will reside.
- Original & duplicate copies of all the pages of the current and the last previous passport.
Who Can Apply for Malta Business Visa?
Malta business visas allow foreign nationals to enter the country for business purposes.
However, you need to know if you are eligible to apply for a Malta business visa. Eligible people to apply for Malta Business are:
- Who has accepted an employment offer from a company or organization in Malta;
- Who has been issued a letter of invitation from a registered company/organization in Malta; and
Where to Apply for a Malta Business Visa?
There are several means provided to apply for a Malta business visa. You can visit the Malta embassy/consulate/visa application center. Likewise, you can apply online.
So, if you prefer to get your visa in advance, we advise you to visit the Malta embassy or consulate in your home country or the nearest one responsible for your jurisdiction.
When to Apply for Malta Work Visa.
How to Get Malta Work Visa Application also involves knowing when you can apply for the visa.
You will have to submit your visa application three months before your planned trip.
This will give ample time for the application to be processed and to also meet up with your scheduled travel date.
Processing Time Malta Work Visa.
Knowing the processing time for Malta’s work visa to be ready will help inform your decision. When you submit your application, it will be reviewed within 7-15 days.
However, the processing time can extend up to 30 days in certain cases or even 60 days. Also, if your documents are not complete, it can lengthen the processing time or if there are too many applications submitted before yours.
We recommend that you should not apply for a visa application later than fifteen (15) days before your planned trip; otherwise, it cannot be guaranteed that the application will be processed in time.
Cost of Malta Work Visa.
Visa fee payment is compulsory because if you don’t, the visa application process will be halted.
You need to visit the Embassy of Malta’s website for the most current visa information, including the cost of a work visa.
Malta Employment Visa
I hope you have been well enlightened on How to get Malta Work Visa Application.
We have outlined all the necessary information that you need to know regarding the visa application process for Malta, including the documents required and the duration of the process.
Make sure you read through and familiarize yourself with the processes so that you can be able to get a favorable outcome.